Search Menu
Menu »
Home » Office of the Commissioner » Utah Industrial Hemp Program

Utah Industrial Hemp Program

Utah Industrial Hemp Program Flyer

Industrial Hemp Field Inspection Example

Grower/Cultivator Instruction:

Step-by-Step License Instructions

License Application Tutorial Video

Grower Crop Inspection Tutorial Video

Please review the following prior to applying to be a grower/cultivator of industrial hemp in the State of Utah:

  • Submit a completed criminal history report form the FBI at the time of applying. The criminal history report cannot be older than three months. You can visit this link for more information.
  • The applicant shall submit the legal description of the growing area.
  • The applicant shall submit an aerial photograph identifying the lots of each area.
  • The applicant shall post signage at the plot's entrance and where the plot is visible to a public roadway. The name of the licensee, Utah Department of Agriculture and food license number and the department’s telephone number must be listed.
  • The applicant shall submit a planting report, harvest report, and an after harvest production report provided by the department through the application link.
  • The applicant shall submit a $560.00 licensing fee to the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food via mail: P.O. Box 146500 Salt Lake City Utah 84114.


Processor Instruction:

Please review the following prior to applying to be a processor of industrial hemp in the State of Utah:

Applicant's that process industrial hemp for human consumption must be licensed with the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food as a Manufacturing food facility and have Good Manufacturing Practices Permit prior to applying to process industrial hemp. For more information call 801-982-2206.

*Manufacturers of cosmetics and animal supplements must provide proof of Certified Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) by a recognized GMP certification group or United States Department of Agriculture with in the past 2 years.

  • Submit a completed criminal history report form the FBI at the time of applying. The criminal history report cannot be older than three months. You can visit this link for more information.
  • All employees who handle material that is over 0.3% THC must be at least 18 and submit a criminal history report within one month of employment.
  • The use of butane or propane is a prohibited extraction method.
  • The applicant shall submit a $2060.00 processor licensing fee to the Utah Department of Agriculture and food. Via mail: P.O. Box 146500 Salt Lake City Utah 84114.


Product Registration:

Step-by-Step Product Registration

Product Registration Instructions Tutorial Video

Product Renewal Application

The applicant must review the following prior to registering their products.

  • Each product containing hemp seed oil, hemp oil, extract, or CBD, requires the applicant to submit a $260.00 registration fee.
  • Each product containing Industrial Hemp seed, or a product containing a solid seed derivative requires the applicant to submit a $160.00 registration fee.
  • Each product containing Industrial hemp fiber does not have to submit a registration fee but must register their product.
  • The applicant shall upload the intended label and Certificate of Analysis (C.O.A.) for each product containing CBD (Cannabidiol) including:​​​
    • Testing completed on end product
    • Must have a picture of the container and substance in the container printed on the COA.
    • Cannabinoid profile by percentage of dry weight,
    • Solvents,
    • Pesticides,
    • Microbial,
    • Heavy metals,
    • Batch Identification number,
    • Date received,
    • Date of completion and,
    • Method of analysis for each test conducted.​


Click on the link below to initiate all licenses, permits, and product registrations:

2020 Utah Industrial Hemp Application and Reports

2020 Harvest Report Application

Once you have completed your application, please contact the UDAF Accounting Team at 801-982-2206 to make applicable payment.  Your application will not be processed until payment is received.

Fill out this application to log the transportation of hemp material.

A response will be sent as a virtual hemp transportation permit, which allows a permit holder the ability to transfer industrial hemp products on public roads in Utah.

A licensee shall not sell or transfer living plants, viable plants, viable seeds, leaf material, or floral material to any person not licensed by the department or to any person outside the state who is not authorized by the laws of that state. R68-24-9 (1) An industrial hemp transportation permit is required for each day and each vehicle used to move industrial hemp raw material. R68-25-12 (2) and R68-24-8 (3)

Valid purposes of transportation include; purchase or sale of hemp material, sample submissions, movement between storage locations, and conferences, educational purposes, or conventions.

Here is a list of the approved products in Utah. This list is updated weekly if there are new entries in any of the categories.

Lists of Registered Industrial Hemp Growers and Processors can be found in the License Lookup database.

4-41 Hemp and Cannabidiol Act

  • Individuals can cultivate and process industrial hemp if they are licensed by the Department.
  • Individuals can market industrial hemp and industrial hemp products provided the products have been registered by the Department.
  • Cannabidiol (CBD) products may be sold around the state of Utah, provided they are registered with the Department.

All applicants are expected to have read all applicable industrial hemp rules prior to submitting an application.

Utah Industrial Hemp Program Flyer

What is Industrial Hemp?

Cannabis Sativa L. that has less than 0.3% THC.

What is Medical Marijuana?

Marijuana is cannabis that contains over 0.3% THC.

How are They the Same and How are They Different?

Industrial Hemp and Medical Marijuana come from the same genus plant. Similar to the difference between Sweet Corn and Field Corn.  They are both corn, but the purposes are different.  Both products look similar to each other and contain many of the same chemical compounds, however, the concentration of compounds in the two plant species can be vastly different. The legal difference is the amount of Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) the plant contains.  If the cannabis plant contains more than 0.3% THC it is considered Marijuana.

Why is the Department of Agriculture and Food Involved?

The Utah Department of Agriculture and Food was identified as the department in the best position to provide regulatory oversight for the identification, cultivation, processing, testing and distribution of hemp-based products.

Who Can Grow Industrial Hemp?

State law allows for individuals and universities to grow industrial hemp, provided they are licensed by the Department. The Department is currently working on establishing the rules for licensure. Once the rules are in place an individual may apply for a license.  If all requirements are met, the Department may issue a license.

Can I Import Industrial Hemp Seeds?

Please read the following from USDA

Can I Buy CBD Oil in Utah?

The purpose of the law is to make sure the product being sold is free from harmful contaminants and matches the label requirements. The Department has established rules for the sale and purchase of CBD oil in the state.  CBD oil registered with the Department, meeting all testing, labeling and other requirements as established by rule, may be purchased in the state of Utah.

How Do I Register My Product with the Department?

The Department has established rules governing the registration of CBD products. Any person seeking to register their product must submit an application. See the Industrial Hemp program information and application below.

Who Has to Register the Product?

The product must be registered before it can legally be sold in the state of Utah. Either the manufacturer or the distributor may register the product.

How do I submit my Pre-planting, Planting, Harvest, or Post-production reports?

These reports are submitted through the same process as when you first registered as a grower. First go to the "Cannabis Programs" page (found under any of the navigation bar categories, i.e. Farmers, Businesses, Consumers, or Popular Pages). Scroll down until you find the "Industrial Hemp Program Information and Application" bar. Click on it to expand the box and scroll to the bottom to find the link called "Click here to access the industrial hemp application". You can also just click here.

When I enter the industrial hemp application, I am returned to the last page I visited in the application process. How do I return to the beginning?

You are not alone my friend. Many have run into this issue. The best way to fix this is to clear your browser history or open an incognito or private window in your web browser. Click here for instructions on how to do this.

Do I need to register each SKU that I will be producing?

Yes, each product SKU registration is $200.

Does each product line being registered require a COA (Certificate of Analysis)?

Yes, even if each product line is using the same batch of CBD oil, you will need a separate COA.

I have registered the parcel of land I intend to plant hemp on and received my certification but I would like to add another parcel to the same registration. Do I need to go through the registration process again for the new parcel?

If the property is within 1 mile of the other parcel, you do not need to register the property, please contact 801-538-4976 with GPS coordinates.

When do I need to do my FBI background check?

FBI background checks must be completed before applying by going to See the EDO website for instructions. There is an $18 fee and you will need to print and mail the forms along with your fingerprint card. EDO will then respond to the request via email. You will need to go to your local jurisdiction to be fingerprinted. The completed background check used in applying for an industrial hemp license must have been issued no longer than 90 days prior to submitting your grower application.

What things need to be included on product labels and Certificates of Analysis?

7 main things we look for on the product labels

  • Brand name

  • Amount of hemp derived contents (mg)

  • Supplement facts

  • Other ingredients

  • Manufacture address

  • Suggested use

  • QR code or website that links customer to COA

7 main things we look for on the Certificate of Analysis (COA)

  • Picture of the product being tested
  • All of the batch/lot information
  • Heavy metal testing
  • Solvent testing
  • Microbial testing
  • Cannabinoid profile
    • Percent of product by dry weight (in mg)
  • Pesticide testing

R68-32 - Sale and Transfer of industrial Hemp Waste to Medical Cannabis Cultivators

  • Industrial Hemp Cultivators and Processors Can sell Industrial Hemp Waste to a Medical Cultivator  and Individuals can cultivate and process industrial hemp if they are licensed by the Department.
  • A certificate of sale is required for each transfer of “Industrial Hemp Waste” to a Medical Cannabis Cultivator.
  • Please Review all informational material below before submitting a Certificate of Sale Application

Hemp Waste Fact-Sheet

Example “Certificate of Sale” Application - Use example to gather all required information

Hemp Waste Certificate of Sale Application - Allow 10 Business Days for Form to be processed

Here are a few vendors.  However, we recommend all should be doing their own internet search for places as well as checking with local law enforcement agencies to get fingerprints done for all hemp applications and medical cannabis agent registration.

 I D Carry Fingerprinting

785 E 4200 S, Salt Lake City, UT 84107

(801) 792-2310

RHA Community Services

119 S Pacific Dr, American Fork, UT 84003

801) 763-9299

YUP Fingerprinting / Your Unique Prints Fingerprinting LLC

1240 E 100 S bldg 23 ste 202j, St. George, UT 84790

(435) 359-6668


1160 S State St Suite 160, Orem, UT 84097

(801) 900-9300

The UPS Store

32 W 200 S, Salt Lake City, UT 84101

(801) 363-7100

331 W Parrish Ln Ste 106, Centerville, UT 84014

(801) 292-2745

2637 N Washington Blvd, North Ogden, UT 84414

(801) 786-0932


3888 W 5400 S, Taylorsville, UT 84129

(801) 965-4445

Local Law Enforcement Agency

Please fill out this form if you have questions or concerns regarding growers, processors, retail establishments or products of industrial hemp. If you choose to remain anonymous, it may be difficult to collect enough information to begin an investigation or follow-up.  Once a complaint is submitted, the UDAF Cannabis Program staff will evaluate your complaint to determine if sufficient information exists to proceed.


Information about the Utah Medical Cannabis Program including patient, provider, production, and pharmacy information can be found at

The medical cannabis card application process can be found directly at: