To apply for new product registration please use the Industrial Hemp Product Registration Application.
To apply for renewal of an Industrial Hemp product, please use the 2022-2023 Product Registration Renewal Application.
Registered Industrial Hemp Products: a list of all approved industrial hemp products in Utah, updated weekly.
How Register New Products (4-step process):
1) To register new products follow this link and complete one application per product.
2) Wait up to 5 business days for review; the Department will notify when the review is complete.
3) Call 801-982-2206 to make payment and receive a receipt by email.
4) A confirmation of registration will be sent once payment is received and your product will be added to the Registered Industrial Hemp Products list.
How Much Does It Cost To Register Products?
- Each product containing hemp seed oil, hemp oil, extract, or a cannabinoid, to include CBD, requires the applicant to submit a $325 registration fee. ($250 + $75 service fee)
- Each product containing industrial hemp seed or a product containing a solid seed derivative requires the applicant to submit a $200 registration fee. ($125 + $75 service fee)
- Products containing industrial hemp fiber do not need to submit a registration fee, but must register their product
What Is Considered “One Individual Hemp Product”?
- An individual hemp product is defined as a product with the same cannabinoid content with one single flavor or scent in an approved medicinal form.
- One individual product may be registered with one product fee and include different bottle sizes for sale (Example: 200 mg Tincture Mint Flavor sold in 2 oz and 4 oz bottles)
- If a product has multiple flavors, each flavor must be registered and paid for separately.
- If a product comes in different cannabinoid dosage amounts the products are considered separate products and must be registered individually. (example: 1000 mg and 2000 mg products that have the same formula)
What Are Approved Medicinal Dosage Forms?
Please refer to this flyer for approved dosage forms. Product must be in an approved dosage form or it will be rejected.
Approved product forms are:
- Liquid Suspension
- Topical Preparations
- Concentrated Oil
- Transdermal Preparation
- Rectangular or Cubed Gummies
- Sublingual Preparation
Common products that ARE approved:
- Liquid Shots
- CBD Powdered Drink Mix or Protein Powder (Customer must add water after purchase)
- Scented Wax Melts without Wick (no ignition allowed)
- Mints (must be called dissolvable tablets to be registered)
- Pet Products (See below)
Common products of product that are NOT approved:
- CBD Inhalers
- CBD Chocolate Bars/Candy
- CBD Baked Goods (Food additive)
- Hemp Leaves to blend in smoothies (food additive)
- Hemp Flower
- Hemp Honey
- CBD Water and Sports Drinks
Reminder: Gummies must be cubed/rectangular shape without sugar coating. No other shapes will be approved.
Is there a CBD variance amount?
Yes, 10% variance is accepted in Utah.
What Materials Are Needed in Order to Apply?
1) A certificate of analysis (COA) for each final product that contains a cannabinoid, to include CBD.
A COA is not required for hemp seed derived products that do not contain cannabinoids.
Each COA must include have the following:
- Batch identification number
- Date received
- Date of completion
- Method of analysis for each test conducted
- A picture of the container and substance in the container printed on the COA
- Cannabinoid profile by percentage of dry weight
Full testing must include all tests shown below:
- Heavy metals
A COA will be required to be visible to the consumer, by the consumer either on the product website or a QR code.
2) A product Label for each product. View label example here.
Each label must have:
- Brand name
- Amount of CBD derived per capsule or container
- Size of container
- Supplement Facts Panel (only for orally consumed products)
- Other Ingredients
- Manufacturer’s address
- Suggested use*
- *Topical products containing ingredients that have a national drug code number must include drug facts/active ingredients and an allergen statement on the label. CBD may not be the only active ingredient.
- Medical claims must be amended (example” ‘Use to treat arthritis’ is not allowed. Instead use ‘May provide relief from arthritis pain)
- FDA Warning
The minimum warning statement for topicals/transdermals: ‘Warning: the safety of this product has not been determined’
Hemp Seed Oil – No FDA Warning Required (21 CFR 111)
- QR Code or website directly linked to product COA
- One application is required per product.
- Payment may be made by calling 801-982-2206. Please record business name on receipt of payment rather than personal name. This is so we can match payments to applications. Business names on payment, products, and applications must match to be processed.
Requirements to Register Pet Products:
- Information in the Facts Panel but not the format
- Amount of CBD per serving, usually determined by weight of animal
- Manufacturer or distributor address
- Directions or suggested use
- Cannot include any feed claims or labeled as food
- QR Code or website directly linked to product COA
- Primary display panel (the front of the label) must include brand name, total amount of CBD in container, and the size of the container.
To update product registration, for example, if rebranding products, please email the new information to firstname.lastname@example.org and pay a $75 service fee.