Unpredictable weather, volatile commodity markets and input prices, extreme working conditions — whether carrying forward a multigenerational legacy or establishing a new operation, farmers and ranchers face a unique set of stressors on a daily basis. The Utah Department of Agriculture and Food and our partners at USU Extension AgWellness recognize these challenges and have created a new Ag Stress Assistance Program to provide financial assistance, education, and resources for Utah farmers and ranchers.
Free mental and behavioral healthcare vouchers of up to $2,000 per individual are now available in partnership with USU extension AgWellness.
- Eligible applicants: this program is focused on assisting Utah agricultural producers and their families with or without insurance.
- Qualifying expenses: Mental healthcare from the provider of your choice or participating providers through Intermountain Healthcare.
- Virtual treatment options are available through Intermountain Healthcare Connect Care
- Mental healthcare treatment includes: Anxiety, ADD/ADHD, Bipolar, Depression, Grief, Insomnia, Mood Swings, Panic Attacks, PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder), Relationship Problems, Stress, Substance Misuse/Abuse, Trauma, etc.)
Financial management and stress management go hand in hand. Read below for financial resources developed specifically for farmers and ranchers to address the unique financial challenges in this industry.
- When it comes to farm succession, having a plan is the best starting point. Check out these guides to help you start planning.
- In agriculture there are many federal, state and non-profit resources for emergency funding, grants, and loans.
Grant Writing and Business Development Support:
- Knowing about available grants is just the first step. While grants exist, it can be overwhelming to understand and write your own grant applications. Try a free online grant writing course or visit your local Small Business Development Center office for one-on-one guidance from an expert .
- USU AgWellness — Podcast episodes, online trainings, and more resources custom tailored to help Utah producers manage stress.
- Farm Aid — Farm Aid works with organizations around the country staffed with farm advocates, counselors and hotline operators that can help you in your time of greatest need.
- AgriSafe — AgriSafe was formed in 2003 by rural nurses who believed that together they could improve the health and safety of farmers and ranchers. Today, AgriSafe builds the competency of health and safety professionals to deliver exceptional occupational agricultural health care.
- Farm Bureau Farm State of Mind — A resource directory and stress management toolkit put together by the American Farm Bureau Federation.
- NAMI Free Online Question, Persuade, Refer Training — 3 simple steps that anyone can learn to help save a life from suicide. Just as people trained in CPR and the Heimlich Maneuver help save thousands of lives each year, people trained in QPR learn how to recognize the warning signs of a suicide crisis and how to question, persuade, and refer someone to help.
- USU AgWellness Workshops - dates to be added
If you or someone you know is in crisis,
call 988 to connect with trained responders
with the National Suicide and Crisis lifeline.