We are currently not accepting applications for new elk facilities.
The Utah Legislature joined many other states in 1997 by passing the Domesticated Elk Act and thereby creating a domestic elk industry in the state. Listed below are sources that offer comprehensive information about elk farming in Utah. For further information, contact Shalia Nye-Nai at (801) 982-2235.
- Approved Elk Farms and Hunting Parks in Utah
- Overview of Elk Ranching
- Elk Facility Checklist
- Elk Health Management Calendar
- Seasonal Elk Target Weights
IMPORTATION INTO UTAH
The consignor must first complete the Utah Domesticated Cervidae Import Application and forward to the governing agency in the consignor’s state or province. The governing agency is responsible for validation of all information and compiling the necessary herd records and then returning the application to the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food Division of Animal Industries for consideration. The consignor should move forward with the required testing only after the herd has been approved for import.
All testing documents and a preliminary copy of the Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) must be submitted to the UDAF Division of Animal Industries for review. An import permit will be issued to an accredited veterinarian once approved. If you have questions regarding the import procedure or requirements, please email Shalia Nye-Nai at email@example.com or contact by phone (801) 982-2235.
- Requirements for Importation of Cervidae Into Utah
- Utah Domesticated Cervidae Import Application
- Animal Entry Permits
- Elk Brand Inspection
ELK PRODUCER FORMS
- UDAF Official Inspection of Elk Farm Form
- Utah Elk RFID Tag Order Form
- Hunting Permit Order/Refund form
- Ranch Reporting Form
- Calf Inventory Reporting Form
- Elk Transportation Form
- Elk Death / Escape Notice
UTAH CODE AND ADMINISTRATIVE RULES RELATING TO ELK RANCHING
- Domesticated Elk Act (Utah Code Annotated: Title 4, Chapter 39)
- Domesticated Elk Hunting Parks (R58-20)
- Elk Farming (R58-18)
- Compliance Procedures (R58-19)