Search Menu
Menu »
Home » Farmers » Plant Industry » Pesticides » Use of Pesticides » Private Applicators

Private Applicators


As of February 1st, 2020 the process of going through USU Extension pesticide education and testing will come to an end. The education and testing procedure will go back in-house through UDAF. USU will still be holding testing at their testing locations but the module and then testing process will be removed.

 If you have registered with USU you will have to finish the process but if you haven’t and want to wait until the new system is implemented, you are welcome to do that as well.

The educational manuals are available on the website and accessible through PDFs. We will not be printing any manuals but you are welcome to order them for a fee. Those instructions will be available on the website as well. If you have any questions regarding this change please call 801-538-7185 or email

TESTING WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE NEW PROCEDURE UNTIL FEBRUARY 1ST, 2020. If you have already begun and registered through the USU Module system you will need to complete that to obtain your license. To continue to that system please click here.


A private pesticide applicator license is the simplest pesticide license to obtain and keep current in the state of Utah. We at UDAF Pesticides HIGHLY encourage ANY citizen that desires to use pesticides consistently on your own property, to look into getting a Private Pesticide Applicator License to help you learn more about how to keep yourself, your family, and your neighbors safe.

Are you looking to treat your own lands with restricted-use pesticides (RUPs)? This section will help you get licensed. Every potential applicator must pass a competency exam based on the National Pesticide Core Manual with a score of at least 70% on the test. If you are an aerial applicator or need structural fumigation then you will have to take those exams as well.

Upon passing the exams at a testing center or with an exam proctor, you must submit this application and pay the UDAF licensing fee here. Please note that each testing center may charge their own fee for testing. This is not included in the UDAF licensing fee. You can email your completed form OR mail it to the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food c/o Pesticide Program, 350 North Redwood Road, SLC, UT 84114. Failure to do so could result in a citation.

To assist each applicator in preparing for the exam they will have to pass we have study guides for the core exam. Each PDF is downloadable and printable for the applicator's unlimited access. Click here to access all education materials to study for the testing process.

Due to recent EPA changes, many more growers are subject to the national Worker Protection Standard (WPS), click here to see if WPS applies to you.

There are two methods you can use to renew your Private Pesticide Applicator License when the time comes. Please note: All Pesticide Applicator Licenses are good for 3 years INCLUDING the year attained and always expiring on December 31st, of the 3rd year.

Due to recent EPA changes, many more growers are subject to the national Worker Protection Standard (WPS), click here to see if WPS applies to you.

Method 1 - Renewing your Private License with CEU's



Here's how you renew a Private Pesticide Applicator License with CEU’s:

  1. Pay the $20 license fee. Call 801-538-7100 OR pay online at any time:
  • Go to UDAF's Online Payment
  • In the Pay For drop-down menu select Private Pesticide Applicator License.
  • Complete the payment process. The receipt will be emailed.
  • Be sure to retain a copy of the receipt to send with your documents.
  1. Complete the attached application and email it (including receipt), along with your 6 CEU's, to

If you don't get all of the above done by December 31, 2019, you can still renew your pesticide applicator license through February 28, 2020, by paying a $25 late fee.

6 CEU’s are still required and they must be earned during your valid license period (2017-2019). If that date passes, you must retest.

You should receive your license within 30 days. If not, please contact us at 801-538-7185 (option #2) or

Don't have enough CEU hours? Obtain more below

Need more CEUs? Click here to find a CEU event near you.

Click here for obtainable online CEUs

Method 2

The second way to renew your license is to simply retake the test. Upon passing the exam at a testing center, you must submit this application and pay the UDAF licensing fee here. You can email your completed form or mail it to Utah Department of Agriculture and Food c/o Pesticide Program, 350 North Redwood Road, SLC, UT 84114. Failure to do so could result in citation. There are a few USU Extension agents willing to proctor private exams - check with your local agent.

I have studied and feel as though I am ready to take the test.? Click here to find a testing center.

Private Applicator Definition

Any person or his/her employer who uses or supervises the use of any restricted-use pesticide for the purpose of producing any agricultural commodity on property owned or rented by the employer or (if applied without compensation other than trading of services between producers of agricultural commodities) on the property of another person.

What are Worker Protection Standards?

Worker Protection Standards or WPS,  is an EPA rule that requires training and facilities to keep farm workers and pesticide handlers safe from pesticide effects due to working on the farm. To help people comply with the WPS, UDAF recommends that if you use any pesticide (insecticide, herbicide, fungicide, etc) on an agricultural establishment, you should get a Utah Private Applicator Pesticide License. It does not matter if you apply the pesticide, (even if it is not a Restricted Use Pesticide) or somebody else does - you will be subject to the WPS and YOU will need to obtain a license to make following the rules easier.

Do you need help figuring out if WPS apply to you? Click HERE to see if you are subject to Worker Protection Standards

Benefits for Having a License if you Treat Your Own Property

  • You will understand how to be safe when applying around your property.
  • You will be able to assist your neighbors and family with their application safety.
  • You will have a better understanding of how to select the proper pesticides for your property.
  • You will have better resources to learn how to treat your pests year-round to use fewer chemicals in your property.
  • You will feel more comfortable if you need to use outside assistance for the treatment of your property.