What is the New Rule?
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration released Guidance for Industry #263, which requires drug manufacturers to change labels on antibiotics for all animals to require a veterinary prescription.
- Law will go into effect June 11, 2023
What does this mean for animal owners?
- Starting June 11, 2023, animal owners will be required to have a veterinary prescription to purchase antibiotics.
- Antibiotics will have to be purchased from a licensed pharmacy.
They will no longer be available for purchase over the counter.
Feed stores will have to be licensed to accept prescriptions.
- To get a prescription for antibiotics, contact your veterinarian.
- Veterinarian Listing
- FDA Guidance for Industry #263
- Informational Flyers: