Search Menu
Menu »
Home » Office of the Commissioner » Cannabis Programs

Cannabis Programs

This page contains information and resources related to Medical Cannabis and Industrial Hemp laws, rules, and programs administered by the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food. Please note that while both programs (Medical Cannabis and Industrial Hemp) are managed by the same team, they are unique and nuanced.  Please review the information specific to the program you are interested in and recognize there are differences with each.

A biostatistician at the University of Utah has supplied UDAF with cannabis cardholder estimates for year 1 - 5. Cannabis cultivation establishment applicants may use this information to assist them in completing their market analysis part of the RFP requirements.

The Cannabis Cultivation Administrative Rule is available on the State Bulletin to Review. Written (electronic preferred) comments should be sent to Or via US Mail to:

Utah Department of Agriculture and Food
Cannabis Rule Comments
PO Box 146500
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-6500

Access the state bulletin here. The cannabis cultivation rule R68-27 is found on page 4.

Cannabis Establishments

For information related to the law governing cannabis establishments click here.

The Medical Cannabis Processing Establishment License request for proposals is now available. To see the entire solicitation and apply prospective applicants must register as vendors through the Sciquest Portal.

View the solicitation. Search for Medical Cannabis Processor Business License. The solicitation number is: DB20008

The Request for Proposals (RFP) for prospective medical cannabis processors opened at the Utah Division of Purchasing on August 23. Interested parties should register NOW to be a vendor through the Utah Supplier Portal.

Information on completing background checks for Medical Cannabis Cultivation Establishments and Agents

All parties planning to apply for a medical cannabis processing establishment licenses are encouraged to start the background check process now.

Criminal background checks are required for each individual who has a financial or voting interest of 2% or greater in the cannabis processing facility or who has the power to direct or cause the management or control of such a facility.  The fee is $51.50 per person.  Submit payment to UDAF by check, or credit card payment over the telephone (801) 538-7100.

The application that is submitted will include a "Criminal Background Screening Authorization Form" Click here. This form must be completed and signed by the applicant.  The applicant must also complete the Medical Cannabis Production Establishment Criminal Background Receipt formClick here. You may submit the background check forms one of three ways: Bring them into the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food in person, submit by U.S. Mail, or by emailing the forms to Payment may be made in person or via U.S. Mail. If you submit your forms via email, the Department will contact you to take payment over the phone.

Once the application, forms and fees have been submitted to UDAF, UDAF will send the applicant a "Live Scan Fingerprint Authorization Form" to continue the process.

The Live Scan Fingerprint Authorization Form can then be taken to any Utah live scan vendor who has the ability to "transmit" the live scan fingerprints to Public Safety.

Out of state applicants who will not be in Utah at the time of the application, will need to have their fingerprints rolled on a hard card (FBI Applicant form FD-258 - usually done at the local police department) and submit the card with the application. Those hard cards will be scanned into the system for an additional $12.00 processing fee.

Once Public Safety receives the electronic fingerprints, they will provide a determination of either cleared or denied based on the applicable state statute. Upon receipt of a clear criminal record, UDAF will continue with processing the application.

The Request for Proposals (RFP) for prospective medical cannabis growers is available from the Utah Division of Purchasing as of June 1.

Interested parties should register NOW to be a vendor through the Utah Supplier Portal

RFP Timeline

  • May 31 -- RFP Opens (a link to the RFP solicitation appears above on this page..
  • July 1 -- The RFP period closes
  • July 15 -- Earliest date the to award grower licenses

The State of Utah has selected MJ Freeway to develop the EVS/ICS for the medical cannabis program.

Utah Industrial Hemp Program Flyer

Grower/Cultivator Instruction:

Example Application--Grower

Please review the following prior to applying to be a grower/cultivator of industrial hemp in the State of Utah:

  • Submit a completed criminal history report form the FBI at the time of applying. The criminal history report cannot be older than three months. You can visit this link for more information.
  • The applicant shall submit the legal description of the growing area.
  • The applicant shall submit an aerial photograph identifying the lots of each area.
  • The applicant shall post signage at the plot's entrance and where the plot is visible to a public roadway. The name of the licensee, Utah Department of Agriculture and food license number and the department’s telephone number must be listed.
  • The applicant shall submit a planting report, harvest report, and an after harvest production report provided by the department through the application link.
  • The applicant shall submit a $560.00 licensing fee to the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food via mail: P.O. Box 146500 Salt Lake City Utah 84114.

Processor Instruction:

Example Application--Processor

Please review the following prior to applying to be a processor of industrial hemp in the State of Utah:

Applicant's that process industrial hemp for human consumption must be licensed with the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food as a Manufacturing food facility and have Good Manufacturing Practices Permit prior to applying to process industrial hemp. For more information call 801-538-7159.

*Manufacturers of cosmetics and animal supplements must provide proof of Certified Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) by a recognized GMP certification group or United States Department of Agriculture with in the past 2 years.

  • Submit a completed criminal history report form the FBI at the time of applying. The criminal history report cannot be older than three months. You can visit this link for more information.
  • All employees who handle material that is over 0.3% THC must be at least 18 and submit a criminal history report within one month of employment.
  • The use of butane or propane is a prohibited extraction method.
  • The applicant shall submit a $2060.00 processor licensing fee to the Utah Department of Agriculture and food. Via mail: P.O. Box 146500 Salt Lake City Utah 84114.

Product Registration:

Example Application--Product Registration

The applicant must review the following prior to registering their products.

  • Each product containing hemp seed oil, hemp oil, extract, or CBD, requires the applicant to submit a $260.00 registration fee.
  • Each product containing Industrial Hemp seed, or a product containing a solid seed derivative requires the applicant to submit a $160.00 registration fee.
  • Each product containing Industrial hemp fiber does not have to submit a registration fee but must register their product.
  • The applicant shall upload the intended label and Certificate of Analysis (C.O.A.) for each product containing CBD (Cannabidiol) including:​​​
    • Testing completed on end product
    • Must have a picture of the container and substance in the container printed on the COA.
    • Cannabinoid profile by percentage of dry weight,
    • Solvents,
    • Pesticides,
    • Microbial,
    • Heavy metals,
    • Batch Identification number,
    • Date received,
    • Date of completion and,
    • Method of analysis for each test conducted.​


Click on the link below to access and complete the application.

Call 801-538-7100 for questions regarding your application.

Your application will not be complete until payment is received by the Department. To make a payment please call 801-538-7100. Have your card information readily available.

2020 Utah Industrial Hemp Application and Reports

Here is a list of the industrial hemp growers, processors and registered products in Utah. This list is updated weekly if there are new entries in any of the categories.

*Lists are current as of August 16, 2019

4-41 Hemp and Cannabidiol Act

  • Individuals can cultivate and process industrial hemp if they are licensed by the Department.
  • Individuals can market industrial hemp and industrial hemp products provided the products have been registered by the Department.
  • Cannabidiol (CBD) products may be sold around the state of Utah, provided they are registered with the Department.

All applicants are expected to have read all applicable industrial hemp rules prior to submitting an application.

Utah Industrial Hemp Program Flyer

What is Industrial Hemp?

Cannabis Sativa L. that has less than 0.3% THC.

What is Medical Marijuana?

Marijuana is cannabis that contains over 0.3% THC.

How are They the Same and How are They Different?

Industrial Hemp and Medical Marijuana come from the same genus plant. Similar to the difference between Sweet Corn and Field Corn.  They are both corn, but the purposes are different.  Both products look similar to each other and contain many of the same chemical compounds, however, the concentration of compounds in the two plant species can be vastly different. The legal difference is the amount of Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) the plant contains.  If the cannabis plant contains more than 0.3% THC it is considered Marijuana.

Why is the Department of Agriculture and Food Involved?

The Utah Department of Agriculture and Food was identified as the department in the best position to provide regulatory oversight for the identification, cultivation, processing, testing and distribution of hemp-based products.

Who Can Grow Industrial Hemp?

State law allows for individuals and universities to grow industrial hemp, provided they are licensed by the Department. The Department is currently working on establishing the rules for licensure. Once the rules are in place an individual may apply for a license.  If all requirements are met, the Department may issue a license.

Can I Import Industrial Hemp Seeds?

Please read the following from USDA

Can I Buy CBD Oil in Utah?

The purpose of the law is to make sure the product being sold is free from harmful contaminants and matches the label requirements. The Department has established rules for the sale and purchase of CBD oil in the state.  CBD oil registered with the Department, meeting all testing, labeling and other requirements as established by rule, may be purchased in the state of Utah.

How Do I Register My Product with the Department?

The Department has established rules governing the registration of CBD products. Any person seeking to register their product must submit an application. See the Industrial Hemp program information and application below.

Who Has to Register the Product?

The product must be registered before it can legally be sold in the state of Utah. Either the manufacturer or the distributor may register the product.

How do I submit my Pre-planting, Planting, Harvest, or Post-production reports?

These reports are submitted through the same process as when you first registered as a grower. First go to the "Cannabis Programs" page (found under any of the navigation bar categories, i.e. Farmers, Businesses, Consumers, or Popular Pages). Scroll down until you find the "Industrial Hemp Program Information and Application" bar. Click on it to expand the box and scroll to the bottom to find the link called "Click here to access the industrial hemp application". You can also just click here.

When I enter the industrial hemp application, I am returned to the last page I visited in the application process. How do I return to the beginning?

You are not alone my friend. Many have run into this issue. The best way to fix this is to clear your browser history or open an incognito or private window in your web browser. Click here for instructions on how to do this.

Do I need to register each SKU that I will be producing?

Yes, each product SKU registration is $200.

Does each product line being registered require a COA (Certificate of Analysis)?

Yes, even if each product line is using the same batch of CBD oil, you will need a separate COA.

I have registered the parcel of land I intend to plant hemp on and received my certification but I would like to add another parcel to the same registration. Do I need to go through the registration process again for the new parcel?

If the property is within 1 mile of the other parcel, you do not need to register the property, just email the GPS coordinates to

When do I need to do my FBI background check?

FBI background checks must be completed before applying by going to See the EDO website for instructions. There is an $18 fee and you will need to print and mail the forms along with your fingerprint card. EDO will then respond to the request via email. You will need to go to your local jurisdiction to be fingerprinted. The completed background check used in applying for an industrial hemp license must have been issued no longer than 90 days prior to submitting your grower application.

What things need to be included on product labels and Certificates of Analysis?

7 main things we look for on the product labels

  • Brand name

  • Amount of hemp derived contents (mg)

  • Supplement facts

  • Other ingredients

  • Manufacture address

  • Suggested use

  • QR code or website that links customer to COA

7 main things we look for on the Certificate of Analysis (COA)

  • Picture of the product being tested
  • All of the batch/lot information
  • Heavy metal testing
  • Solvent testing
  • Microbial testing
  • Cannabinoid profile
    • Percent of product by dry weight (in mg)
  • Pesticide testing