Utah Department of Agriculture and Food

Utah Pesticide License Types and Categories

You may need to  review the article - Do I need a "What is a pesticide and do I need a license?" before reading this page.

Utah has three (3) classifications of Pesticide Applicators: 

  1. Utah Commercial Pesticide Applicator - Any person who uses any (not only Restricted Use) pesticide for hire or compensation.   If you use a pesticide for your business, are paid by somebody to use pesticide, or are part of a pesticide business you likely need this type of license.   Landscapers, some construction, lawn-care businesses and similar concerns that use any type of pesticide must have this license.
  2. Utah Non-Commercial Pesticide Applicator - Any person working as an individual or an employee of a firm, entity, or government agency who uses or demonstrates the use of any restricted-use pesticide and who does not qualify as a private or commercial applicator.   Schools, land management government agencies, city, and county employees are examples.   Some Non-Commercial Pesticide Applicator employers require their employees to be licensed to apply any pesticide.  Some insurance companies require employees of their insured to be licensed to apply any pesticide.
  3. Utah Private Pesticide Applicator - Any person or his employer who uses or supervises the use of any restricted-use pesticide for the purpose of producing any agricultural commodity on property owned or rented by him or his employer.   Additionally, it is a significant benefit to any agricultural producer that uses a pesticide to have their license to help address the Worker Protection Standards (WPS).   UDAF would recommend that anybody working on an establishment that produces and agricultural plant, and uses any pesticides, should obtain a license where they are able to.

Utah Commercial and Non-Commercial Applicators are categorized in one or more of the categories defined below, based on the application site and the type of work they perform.   At least one category is required to obtain a Commercial, or Non-Commercial License.   Utah Private Pesticide Applicators must test and add the category of 11. Aerial Application and/or 13. Fumigation/Stored Commodities (as applicable) if they will be making those type of applications.

  1. Agriculture 
    (a) Plant - Applicators using pesticides to control pests in the production of agricultural crops. 
    (b) Animal - Applicators using pesticides on animals or places which animals inhabit.

  2. Forest - Applicators using pesticides in forests, forest nurseries, or forest seed producing areas. 

  3. Ornamental and Turf - Applicators using pesticides to control pests in the maintenance and production of ornamental trees, shrubs, flowers and turf; also pests around sidewalks, driveways and other similar locations.
  4. Seed Treatment - Applicators using pesticides on seeds.

  5. Aquatic 
    (a) Surface Water - Applicators applying pesticides to standing or running water, excluding public health-related activities. 
    (b) Sewer Root Control - Applicators using pesticides to control roots in sewers or in related systems.

  6. Right-Of-Way - Applicators using pesticides in maintaining public roads, electric power lines, pipelines, railway rights-of-way, or other similar areas. 

  7. Structural and Health-Related - Applicators using pesticides in, on or around food handling establishments, human dwellings, institutions such as schools, hospitals, industrial establishments, warehouses, storage units and any other structures and adjacent areas public or private to control household pests, fabric pests, stored-products pests, and vertebrate pests.

  8. Public Health - State, federal or other government employees, or persons working under their supervision using, or supervising the use of, restricted-use pesticides in public health programs for control of pests having medical and public health importance.

  9. Regulatory - Limited to state and federal employees,, who apply pesticides in a mechanical ejection device, a protective collar, or other methods to control regulated pests. There are two subcategories: 
    (a) This category is limited to state and federal, employees or persons under their direct supervision, who apply pesticides in a mechanical ejection device, or other methods to control regulated pests. 
    (b) This category is limited to state and federal, employees or persons under their direct supervision, who apply pesticides in a protective collar, or other methods to control regulated pests. 

  10. Demonstration, Consultation and Research - Individuals who demonstrate to the public the proper use, techniques, benefits, and methods of restricted-use pesticides. Also persons conducting field research with restricted-use pesticides. In addition they shall meet the specific standards applicable to their particular activity.

  11. Aerial Application - Applicators applying pesticides by aircraft. Aerial applicators are also required to certify in categories of intended application and present a valid pilot’s license.

  12. Vertebrate - Applicators applying pesticides in the control of vertebrate pests.

  13. Fumigation/Stored Commodities - Applicators using fumigants to control pests in soil, structures, railroad cars, stored grains, manufactured products, grain elevators, flour mills, similar areas and items.

  14. Wood-Preservation - Applicators who apply wood-preservative pesticides to wood products such as fence posts, electrical poles, railroad ties or any other form of wood products.

  15. Wood-Destroying Organisms - Applicators using pesticides to control termites, carpenter ants, wood-boring or tunneling insects, bees, wasps, wood decaying fungi and any other pests destroying wood products.  

Commercial and Non-Commercial Applicators must take the general/core exam and at least one category test (listed above). The categories tests should be in the classification for which they will be applying pesticides in their business, or employment. All exams and tests must be passed with a minimum score of 70%. Applicators may certify in any category, except they must meet the special qualifications for aerial and demonstration categories. Only certain officials (as determined by UDAF) of the federal and state government can certify in the regulatory category. 

Before any test is administered, the appropriate courses and tests must be taken from Utah State University Extension.  Please refer to the appropriate type of license above to link to how to obtain the correct license.