2012 Legislative Wrap Up
2012 Legislative Session – Department of Agriculture and Food – Ag. Bills Summary
HB 86 – Posting of Trespass by Rep. John Mathis – PASSED
• Makes minor amendments and corrections to trespass signs locations and property perimeter requirements
HB 187 Substitute 2 – Agricultural Operation Interference by Rep. John Mathis- PASSED
• Establishes the crime of interference if a person records sounds/images of an agricultural operation while being on the property without the owner's consent.
HB 198 – Growing of Food by Rep. C. Herrod- PASSED
• Foods grown by the family for family consumption are not subject to federal regulation and that some foods grown by the family for family use will not be confiscated by the federal government.
HB 505 – Agricultural Code Amendments by Rep. Brad Galvez - PASSED
• Amends Utah Agricultural Code regarding funding for noxious weeds and invasive plants, modifies control from statute to department rules for control of certain animal diseases, prohibits allowance of swine to run at large and become feral, authorizes funds from GIP to be go towards monitoring costs.
SB61 – Invasive Species Amendments by Senator Ralph Okerlund ¬¬- Passed
• Appropriates $1 million to rehabilitate areas affected by invasive species.
SB86 Substitute 2 – Agricultural Protection Amendments by Senator C. Bramble - FAILED
• Amends provisions related to agricultural protection property areas.
SB 87 Substitute 1 – Predator Control Funding by Senator David Hinkins - PASSED
• Imposes a $5 to large game permits to go towards a fund to control predatory animals.
SB122 – Urban Farming Assessment Act by Senator W. Niederhauser - PASSED
• Allows for property in 1st class counties that are used for agricultural production which are meeting certain requirements to be taxed at agricultural values.
SB 245 Substitute 1 – Mule Deer Protection Act by Senator Ralph Okerlund - PASSED
• Appropriates money for the purposes of coyote control and grants rule making authority to the DWR to coordinate coyote control with other government entities. Appropriates $750k of which $500k goes to DWR and the remaining $250k goes to UDAF to be used for predator control.
SB 247 – Conservation District Amendments by Senator David Hinkins - PASSED
• Amends duties of conservation districts and the conservation district board of supervisors.
Posted: March 19, 2012