Utah Department of Agriculture and Food

Statement - Travel Requirements Associated With VS



Clarification of Livestock Travel Requirements Associated With Vesicular Stomatitis
May 22, 2015


(Salt Lake City) Because Utah is currently Vesicular Stomatitis (VS) free, travel requirements are only in place for livestock originating from an area that DOES have VS.  If traveling to Utah from such a county, livestock must be accompanied by a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) issued within the prior 14 days of entry into Utah. 

Livestock owners who plan to travel on to other states, or return to their home state should contact that state veterinarian’s office, or their destination state, for restrictions on travel.

Though Utah has recently become VS free, some states and countries will still have livestock import restrictions in place for any livestock traveling from Utah for a period of time. The Utah Department of Agriculture and Food urges livestock owners looking to move livestock out of Utah in the near future to check with the destination jurisdiction for any possible restrictions.

The Utah State Veterinarian’s Office has the following statement and other information about livestock travel available at  IMPORT REQUIREMENTS

Any livestock (equine, bovine, porcine, caprine, ovine, or cervidae) entering Utah from a county where vesicular stomatitis has been diagnosed within the last fourteen (14) days or a county that contains a premises quarantined for vesicular stomatitis shall be accompanied by a certificate of veterinary inspection dated within fourteen 14 days of entry containing the following statement: "All animals identified on this certificate of veterinary inspection have been inspected and found to be free from clinical signs of vesicular stomatitis."

Confusion may exist because Utah recently became VS free, and livestock owners attending Utah livestock events may be in contact with misinformation about travel requirements from neighboring states.


Contact: Dr. Warren Hess (801) 870-7818
Larry Lewis (801) 538-7104
 Cell (801) 514-2152





posted: May 22, 2015