Scales Used for Commerce in Utah

Establishment Registration

All establishments in Utah who use scales for commercial transactions between two or more parties need to be registered with the State of Utah Weights & Measures Program. If a scale is used as any part of the determination of a monetary value in a given transaction it is considered to be used commercially. The application for registration may be found here.


Unannounced inspections are conducted during normal business hours at any business owning a device used in the buying or selling of precious metals located in the State of Utah or any out of state business that is doing business in the State of Utah. Inspections can be performed at any interval. Our Inspectors show identification during the inspection. If you have any concerns you are welcome to call the Utah Department of Agriculture & Food-Weights & Measures Program at (801) 538-7158 to verify the identity of the Inspector.

Legal for Trade Scales

Use only suitable and legal for trade scales for the transaction. Use only scales that have been tested and approved by a weights and measures official. The scale needs to be a model that has been approved for commercial use and is legal for trade. It also needs to be suitable for its intended use in terms of load capacity, unit of measure, scale division size, etc. (See NIST Handbook 44 G-UR.1.1 Suitability of Equipment and Uniform National Type Evaluation)

How can I determine whether or not a scale is legal for trade?

If it states “NOT LEGAL FOR TRADE” the scale is not legal for trade: You won’t have to look any further!

CERTIFICATE OF CONFORMANCE (CC): The model needs to have an NTEP CC (National Type Evaluation Program Certificate of Conformance). The number will be in this format: XX-XXX and should come up on the following database: (Searching by make/model can be tricky so you may want to get the CC number from the scale manufacturer or reseller and then confirm it at the above location. Many models also have the CC number printed right on the scale.)

ACCURACY CLASS MARKING: If scale is legal for trade and was manufactured on or after January 1, 1986 it will have an accuracy class marking of I, II, or III. The mark may or may not have the word “class” in front of it and the mark may or may not have a circle around it. Other words or phrases such as “Type 4” or “Lot 2” are NOT class markings. We recommend you always verify the CC number and accuracy class before you use or purchase a scale!

Sometimes a Legal for Trade Scale has a counting feature that is not legal for trade. That is fine as long as you are not using the actual counting feature for buying/selling.

Where can I purchase a legal for trade scale?

What does it mean to “Place a scale into service” and who can do this?

Before a scale is used for transactions it needs to be checked to verify it is working correctly-even if it is brand new. This can either be done by a State of Utah Weights & Measures official or by a Service Technician that is registered with the Utah Weights and Measures Program. If it is placed into service by a Service Technician it will still need to be inspected and get an approval certification label by a Weights & Measures Inspector. If a Placed in Service Report is submitted you will be able to go ahead and use the scale until an official examination can be completed by a Weights and Measures Inspector.

Are there any regulations on HOW the scale is used?


Gold & Precious Metal Scale Questions

Utah, Salt Lake, Uintah, Duchesne, Daggett and other Northern Counties
Weights and Measures Inspector
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. (801) 413-8048

Carbon, Juab and other Southern Counties
Weights and Measures Inspector
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. (435) 979-6292

State of Utah Weights & Measures Program Manager
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. (801) 538-7158

References & related links