- Category: Animals
- Published: Wednesday, 14 November 2018 15:50
- Written by Bill Durler
- Hits: 1403
To track livestock diseases, animal health officials must know where animals were born, where they have been, and where they came into contact with other animals. Identification of locations that manage or hold animals are known as premises. Premises ID registration allows for much faster traces when there is an outbreak of an animal disease or an animal-borne human disease. If we know where susceptible animals are located, we can control the disease more quickly.
- When ordering official animal identification tags, most vendors require a Premises ID in order to ship them to you.
- Premises ID's are unique identification numbers which are permanently assigned to a physical address where animals are located.
- The Premises ID does not change when a property is sold. Obtaining a premises ID is free and voluntary.
SOME COMMON QUESTIONS
1) What information do I need in order to register my premises?
We will need the name and contact information of the location owner, physical location of the premises, livestock species housed there, and the name and contact information of the animal owner or primary caretaker. You do not need to provide the number of animals or other information associated with the location.
2) Which animals are considered livestock?
Cattle, bison, swine, sheep, goats, poultry, equine, cervids (deer, elk), camelids (llamas, alpacas) and aquaculture are all examples of species that would be registered under a premises identification number.
3) How do I register my premises?
There are two ways to register your premises:
- Follow the link below and complete an online form. Our office will process your information and either email or call with your premises identification number usually within two business days. This is a great way to register if you have internet access since you have the ability to complete this form on your own time instead of being limited to our business hours.
- Call our office directly at 801-538-7029 and we will be happy to issue you a Premises ID.